Friday, September 24, 2010

The Accident

Driving in the UAE has it's perks as far as convenience, but the drivers here are horrendous and have little regard for others on the road. Which is why most visitors who value their lives use taxis for the first few weeks/months. After leaving school on Thursday I was hit in a roundabout (they are EVERYWHERE). I wasn't injured and the police arrived on the scene literally in less than 30 seconds. They didn't speak English well so they didn't bother to question me about the incident. Luckily a close friend of mine speaks Arabic and I was able to call them to help remedy the situation by speaking to the police for me. After the police left about 15 min later a Saaed traffic officer arrived to investigate the accident. Pretty much I had two options, (1) admit fault and pay a 300dhs fine ($83) or (2)  refuse fault, have my car impounded and be detained at the police station for up to 3 days pending a thorough investigation. Needless to say, I am not in any rush to visit the police station in a foreign country, so I took option one. Luckily my damaged car was a rental with zero liability to me so I was given a replacement car a few hours later. Lesson learned. Drive slow and be cautious in traffic circles!


Poor Nissan Tida


Saaed officer is called to the scene after the police assessed the accident.

300dhs fine ($83)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Search